Friday, October 30, 2009

Kaffe Fasset Quilt -- a humdinger!



I have the most fortunate experience to be in a monthly quilt club group for the past three years. A very talented quilter and teacher has a studio in her home.  I take many classes from her in addition to the monthly club class.  I'll share each of these quilts with you as the months go by.  This monstrous quilt was my first club experience.  And it's a big one  -- 118 X 125"!




This was made using only Kaffe Fassett fabrics.  He is an incredible needlepoint, quilt and pattern designer.  This quilt is the Museum Sampler from his Museum Quilts book.  My friends and I spent a year putting this together (as well as searching high and low for his fabric).  This is a close up of the center.

 
I just loved all the techniques in this quilt -- hand applique, paper piecing, y-seams, setting triangles, half square and quarter square triangles, square in a square and flying geese to name a few!  Here's one of the corners. 


I will say this is one of my most challenging quilts ever. It is made in four mirror image quadrants around the hexagon center. It almost got the best of me and I had to put it away for a few months.  We live in a very warm climate so choosing the batting was a challenge.  The quilt is so heavy due to its size.  So for the first time ever I used silk batting. It was a great decision for a quilt of this size.   This was on our bed this summer.  Everytime I looked at it I found another new block or fabric I loved.  

This is a beautiful book.  I still find myself looking through it and admiring all the beautiful fabrics and quilts.  Someday I'll make another quilt from the book.  And I'll always love Kaffe Fassett's fabrics.  I am very drawn to any bright and colorful fabric.

1 comment:

I love to read your comments! Please feel free to leave me a note.