Sunday, October 25, 2009

Where I Started



This quilt will always be very dear to me.  It is the first quilt I ever made, more than 21 years ago when I knew a lot about sewing but nothing about quilting.  I was pregnant with my oldest daughter, Emily.  This hung in her nursery for a couple of years and was the inspiration for all the nursery items I made for her -- curtains, bumper pads, crib ruffle, sheets, mobile, wall decor and more.  I just love bright colors and thought they were best for babies.  This was a labor of love and I shudder now when I study the technique and fabrics I used!  We have a very fond memory of making this quilt. I waited until I was about 8 months pregnant before doing the hand quilting.  And that included layering and basting the three quilt layers. My big pregnant belly kept messing up the smooth layers as I bent down to baste it!  As you can see, it was finally finished and was Emily's first heirloom.  And she was as special (and still is) as can be to our family.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post, Mom. I never knew this was your first quilt! I won't ever forget this quilt!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments! Please feel free to leave me a note.